Saturday 24 October 2009

2 weeks today!

Wow, that 2 weeks has passed quite quickly really. Sitting here writing this now, i dont even feel like i have had an operation at all, no soreness, no pain and i can eat and drink with only very occasional discomfort. Obviously this was all a very different story this time last week, but i have definitely turned a corner.

For the first few days post-op, all i wanted to do was sleep, i have never experienced such extreme tiredness, i could literally be sitting talking to someone and nod off! My typical day would be having regular tiny sips of water, i only managed half a bottle of slimfast in total over 2 days, the third day i managed half a tin of tomato soup and a few spoons of custard in the evening. In between times i just slept, i had no interest in reading or watching tv, it was too much like hard work. Even talking was exhausting. During the first week/10 days i didnt even feel like going on the forum or blogging, truth is i couldnt stomach it, reading other peoples experiences and thinking about my own was making me feel sick and i wanted to avoid it at all costs. The surgeon said i would probably feel like i had been kicked in the stomach really hard and i suppose that goes a little way to describing the pain i felt. I had constant pain in my left side, in particular around my ribs, i was convinced the theatre staff must have been so rough with me that they must have broke my ribs! Breathing was painful, especially if i breathed in too fast or hard it really hurt and took my breathe away. The port site was the most painful wound, in fairness the other 3 were just a bit sore, but the port site was quite bad, especially in bed whether i tried to sleep on my left or right it was painful. I did go to the doctor last saturday, a week post-op, just to get checked over to make sure everything was as it should be. The doctor was very good, he examined me fully, listened to my heart, lungs, stomach and bowel. The thing i was most concerned about was the pain in my left ribs and shortness of breathe and he said he was making sure no problems had occurred and first thing that would show up would be in my lungs or bowel so by listening to them, he could tell that they sounded ok and just to be aware that if i got a temperature to come back to him so he could check everything again. I was very impressed with him and it reassured me no end. By the end of the first week i was now managing a little bit of ready brek, a full tin of soup (divided into portions throughout the day) and a small carton of custard and everything was starting to go down much easier as the swelling in my stomach went down. I guess the ice lollies must have helped with the swelling as by now i was having 1 or 2 each day.

Week 2 has been a much better week all round. I had booked to go to Cornwall with my children on the 19th which was 9 days post-op, wasnt really sure how i would be but thought it would be good to get away and i could rest all day! It has been fantastic! We got back last night and even though i had a good rest, i also did quite alot of walking, up very steep hills! We went out and about every day, mainly walking around the little villages, shopping, sightseeing etc. but also walked down to some hard to get to beaches and had to really climb to get back up! It was fun though and i never felt like i had overdone it and it even gave me an appetite!! So the 2nd week my typical day has been having either a poached egg or scrambled egg around 11ish, some chocolate whilst out and about (i know i shouldnt but i had to keep my energy levels up!!) some mashed potato with some mushy peas, or fish pie and then in the evening some custard. I even had a glass or 2 of wine each evening! So like i said, we got back last night and i have weighed myself this morning and i havent put any weight on, i have maintained my loss of 18lbs so i am really quite happy with that. So that is it now, no chocolate or wine, except for the occasional treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment